Monday, May 19, 2008

Morris Minor Frame Rust



Recently, I bought a rusty 1960 Morris 1000. Now I've worked in body shops and have fixed some stuff but this was something I would have normally passed over. The difference this time was that it included the replacement parts to fix what I was told was typical rust, so I bit.
Now, this wasn't just rust, this was Frame Rust! Take a look at the photo and you'll see it isn't for the faint at heart. My courage came from knowing that I'd part the car if it got out of hand. I have a Riley One Point Five that needs the rear, a Bugeye that needed a transmission and an A35 the engine would find a home in. ( I've found a Bugeye trans at Import Carlisle since then). But, all that became unnecessary and it was actually fun cutting out the frame and fitting the new parts. The Morris restoration manual was also a source of courage and now I feel confident welding Morris frames. The seller told me he spent the extra couple bucks for the NOS panels so I can't vouch for the cheaper stuff but the fit was perfect. (unlike repop fenders etc.)

2 comments:

MINUTIA Editor said...

You are a much braver man than I. I hope you will share the progress with us -- as the Riley comes together.

MINUTIA Editor said...

Oops! I meant to say -- I hope you will share some progress reports on the Morris as it comes together. (I should learn to read before I press enter.)