Founded by R. D. Taylor, a Los Angeles area farmer, Taylor-Dunn began as a producer/distributor of farm supplies, including electric carts for hauling chicken feed and other supplies. Their first passenger vehicle, the Three-wheel model PG, was introduced in 1955. Their second model, the Trident, was built from 1959 through 1963 and could be ordered with either tiller or wheel steering, and was also available with either hand or foot controls for the brake and accelerator. Snap-in side curtains were provided for use in bad weather. Called a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) today, the Trident was one of a considerable number of vehicles built in Greater Los Angeles, most of which were favored by residents of mobile home parks and other small communities where their severely limited performance was not an issue.